Saturday, February 09, 2013

A Lurid Legacy

I'm torn between sharing a very emotional account of my visit to the Apartheid Museum, and simply saying, "Go and see the Apartheid Museum" because I cannot quite capture the experience in words or in photographs. 

This is not a fun day out, but I think it's something people should really do. You may think you know the history, but the feeling of submersing yourself in the stories and images in a space dedicated to the memories and sacrifices of a brutal regime cannot be replaced by any other form of account. So...
Go and see the Apartheid Museum.





The current temporary exhibition at the Apartheid Museum takes you on a journey through Nelson Mandela's life. At the end, you are given the opportunity to choose your favourite group of his famous quotes, select a stick of the corresponding colour, and place it among other people's selections. A friendly tourist offered to take my picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment