Wednesday, March 13, 2013

New Chinatown

Chinese New Year was a month ago, but I've been so busy I haven't posted any of the pictures yet. I went down to Cyrildene in the day to scope the scene and buy some things before the evening celebrations. 

I always find Chinatowns interesting, in any city. They're these sudden little enclaves hidden away in unexpected parts of the city. Derrick Avenue in Cyrildene is no different; lined with beautiful buildings and frequented by the local Chinese community members. The shops are filled with unusual ingredients like preserved chicken feet, fish flakes, bok choi and prawn crackers; and the restaurants serve all manner of delicious and strange sounding Chinese delights. 

I also popped down the road to China Mall in Bruma Lake, which houses the more conventional array of cheap merchandise. Sometimes I like to visit these kinds of stores to buy silly things in large quantities. Who knows when one might need a thousand tiny rubber chickens?











No comments:

Post a Comment